Yesterday I was happily sewing when all of a sudden I smelled smoke. My iron was smoking - not figuratively, but literally, and then two of my smoke alarms went off in the house and scared me to death. Boy, they are LOUD!!
I think a little lint got trapped in the gap between the iron part, and the body, and started to burn - very scary. I feel very lucky that it didn't catch on fire and burn my house down. Anyway, the iron is now toast and will be sent back to the manufacturer, and a replacement sent to me. Until then though, no machine sewing for me. Fortunately I have a lot of hand quilting to catch up on!